Monday, August 2, 2010

Changes at the Commission

Mayor Driscoll with the Commission on Disabilities, with our former chairpersons, Jack Harris,  and Andy LaPointe, and new chairperson David Tracht (back turned to camera), in front of the new elevator at City Hall.  Also here were David Martel (behind Mayor Driscoll), Jean Harrison and Charlie Reardon (in red.)

Mayor Driscoll with the Commission on Disabilities, with our former chairpersons, Jack Harris,  and Andy LaPointe, and new chairperson David Tracht (back turned to camera), in front of the new elevator at City Hall.  Also here were David Martel (behind Mayor Driscoll), Jean Harrison and Charlie Reardon (in red.)

The Commission on Disabilities is going through our summer break, and meeting again in September with a different organization.

Jack Harris, after being on the Commission for over 20 years, is hanging it up at the end of the year when his term expires.  He announced his decision in June and called for an election of two co-chairs at our July meeting.

Here are his comments, from the meeting video:

I've known Jack for a very long time.  His two little girls have virtually adopted me!  Like many people who have served long terms in a job, it is inconceivable to think of his leaving.

But 20 years is a long time and I don't begrudge him.

Jack represents 20 years of very hard work to make the Commission as successful as it has been.   This is a position more for duty and love, than it is for prestige.

I've often wondered how I would fare as chair.  It's something I have to think about as I start my second term on the board.

I didn't nominate myself in the vote as I didn't feel I had enough seniority or experience, but as time  goes on, if I continue in the job, I have to prepare for that possibility, and prepare to step up in his position someday.

This is what I said to Jack when he announced his decision:

Our new co-chairs are David Tracht and Debra Lobsitz.  I and my colleagues will do our best to support them both.

No comments: